The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) is the single most important medical entrance examination in India, conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA). This test serves as the gateway for students aspiring to pursue undergraduate medical and dental courses in government and private institutions across the country. In this blog post, we will take a deep dive into the world of NEET, covering its history, eligibility criteria, examination pattern, and more. Whether you’re an aspiring medical student or a parent looking for information, this guide is for you.
Table of contents
History of NEET
NEET was first introduced in 2013 by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) as a unified entrance examination for admission to MBBS and BDS courses. The purpose of the exam was to streamline the admission process and ensure a standardized selection criterion for medical and dental colleges in India. Over the years, NEET has evolved and has become the single largest medical entrance examination in the country.
o appear for NEET, candidates must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- Age Limit: Candidates must be at least 17 years old as of December 31 in the year of admission. There is no upper age limit as of now.
- Nationality: Indian Nationals, Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), Overseas Citizen of India (OCI), Persons of Indian Origin (PIO), and Foreign Nationals are eligible to appear for NEET.
- Educational Qualification: Candidates must have passed or be appearing for their 10+2 or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology, and English as core subjects.
- Minimum Marks Requirement: General category candidates must have secured at least 50% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/Biotechnology. For SC/ST/OBC candidates, the minimum required aggregate is 40%, and for PwD candidates, it is 45%.
NEET Examination Pattern
NEET is a pen-and-paper-based examination, conducted in a single session. The test consists of 180 multiple-choice questions divided into four sections – Physics, Chemistry, Biology (Botany), and Biology (Zoology). Each correct answer is awarded four marks, while one mark is deducted for every incorrect response. The total duration of the examination is three hours.
- Understand the syllabus and examination pattern thoroughly.
- Create a study plan and allocate ample time to each subject.
- Focus on NCERT textbooks, as they form the foundation for NEET.
- Attempt previous year question papers and sample tests to improve speed and accuracy.
- Revise regularly and keep track of your progress.
- NEET Application Release: February
- NEET Application Deadline: March
- Admit Card Release: April
- NEET Exam Date: May
- Results Announcement: June
Counseling and Admission Process
After the declaration of results, the Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) conducts online counseling for the 15% All India Quota (AIQ) seats, deemed universities, central universities, and ESIC institutions. Simultaneously, respective state counseling authorities conduct counseling for the remaining 85% state quota seats.
NEET serves as the primary entrance examination for students aspiring to pursue undergraduate medical and dental courses in both government and private institutions across India.
The National Testing Agency (NTA) is responsible for conducting the NEET examination.
Candidates must be at least 17 years old as of December 31 in the year of admission. Currently, there is no specified upper age limit for NEET.
Yes, candidates must have passed or be appearing for their 10+2 or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology, and English as core subjects. Additionally, there are aggregate marks criteria based on the category of the candidate.